Progressive Physical Therapy Launches SI Joint Dysfunction Clinic in Orange County
Progressive Physical Therapy and Rehabilitation, one of Orange County’s premier private outpatient clinics, announced today the establishment of an SI Joint Dysfunction Clinic according to Michael McKindley, DPT.
“SI Joint Dysfunction is one of the most misdiagnosed conditions,” McKindley said. “Every year we see over 100 patients with this issue. Many have gone years without relief and have even ailed physical therapy elsewhere. Having developed a comprehensive approach to treating this low back and hip pain disorder, we have established a SI Joint Clinic to focus more attention through education, awareness, and treatment for patients to seek relief.”
Sacroiliac joint (SIJ) dysfunction occurs when the sacroiliac joints of the pelvis become stiff or weak. The condition can develop at any age. Symptoms typically are felt on one side of the back. SIJ dysfunction is found in 10% to 25% of people who complain of low back pain. It is most often diagnosed in females, especially those who have had children.. Physical therapists treat SIJ dysfunction to help reduce pain and restore movement and function for improved quality of life.
Common symptoms include:
- Sharp, stabbing, or dull pain on one side of your pelvis/low back, groin, or tailbone
- Pain that radiates down to the knee
- Pain with standing from a sitting position, turning in bed, bending, or twisting
- Muscle tightness and tenderness in the hip/buttock region
- Pain with walking, standing, and prolonged sitting
- Pain that is worse when standing and walking, and eases when sitting or lying down
Yoga and SI is a Thing:
Yoga students are particularly susceptible to SI Joint issues. According to the YogaJournal.com (Sept. 2018) “Yoga students—particularly women—seem to experience sacroiliac pain in higher percentages than the general population. It is thought that this is due to many of the asymmetrical movements.”
For this population, we offer relief by:
- Proper joint mobilization to correct to neutral
- Soft tissue mobilization to improve muscle function
- Joint specific stretching and stability program
- Core strengthening and functional fitness
- Education on proper movements for yoga
“Our SI Joint Dysfunction rehabilitation program has been developed over 15 years,” McKindley added. ”It combines evidence-based training with our clinical experience and expertise. Many of our patients come to us after having failed physical therapy elsewhere or having been misdiagnosed. Often our patients are able to experience immediate relief. We have a wide array of tools, tips, and even a few tricks at our disposal to customize a program based on each individual’s health, condition, needs, and goals. We are proud of our reputation throughout Orange County for our successful diagnosis and treatment of these patients.”
If you or someone you know suffers from unexplained low back pain, consider an evaluation by our expertly-trained physical therapists.
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!