Taken at Gaviota State Park, north of Santa Barbara.
Sean joined Progressive Physical Therapy and Rehab’s Costa Mesa office in 2016. Five years later he opened up the Irvine/Lake Forest office and was named director of the SI Joint Dysfunction Clinic. A former basketball player at Costa Mesa High School, he attended the University of California Irvine where he received a bachelor’s of art degree in international studies. But, it was ankle and knee injuries and his appreciation for the talents of the physical therapist while a high school student that led to interest in pursuing the profession. He obtained his doctorate of physical therapy from the highly-regarded Sacred Heart Academy in Conn, where he excelled in his studies and was awarded the Silver Medal of Excellence and was a member of the Honor Society. He has obtained the prestigious Orthopedic Clinical Specialist (OCS) designation that is granted to less than 5% of all physical therapists.
▪ Orthopedic & Sports Rehab
▪ SI Joint Dysfunction
▪ Musculoskeletal Pain
▪ Functional Fitness
1) How did you get interested in Physical Therapy? I always wanted to become a healthcare provider and fell in love with human anatomy course during my undergraduate. I wanted to pursue a career that has something to do with human anatomy, and I learned that orthopedic physical therapy was the best profession to fulfill my dream.
2) What do you enjoy the most about being a PT? I truly believe that physical therapy is the only profession where the healthcare provider connects a patient’s diagnosis to his/her function. I really enjoy making functionally relevant changes and improvements for my patients every day. I believe physical therapists can make a difference that no other healthcare professions can make.
3) What have you learned while working at Progressive PT? I have learned about some differences in philosophy among physical therapists based on different regions and schools they were they received their training. My physical therapy and residency trainings took place in the east coast, and I quickly realized that my emphasis of training was slightly different than what my coworkers learned from schools on the west coast. This helped me to learn from my coworkers and understand the whole picture of our profession. The beauty of our practice here at Progressive PT is that all differences are appreciated, and everyone is willing to learn. After all, the only thing that we care about is helping our patients get better.
4) What is your philosophy when working with patients? Listen very carefully to your patients. They are the main source of your information, and they will tell you everything that you need.
5) Do you have any pets? Not at this time, but my wife and I are planning to have a puppy soon.
6) What do you like to do for fun? I love visiting state and national parks and also enjoy traveling internationally.
1) Favorite saying: “Love the life you live. Live the life you love.” – Bob Marley
2) Personal mantra: I am in control of my life.
3) What did you want to be growing up? I always wanted to become a healthcare provider, but didn’t know exactly what I wanted to be. Human anatomy courses during my undergraduate solidified my decision to become a physical therapist.
4) Best vacation spot: Islands in Southeast Asia (Thailand, Philippines, and Indonesia).
5) If you had to eat one meal every day for the rest of your life, what would it be? It would be fried rice that my wife makes. I can eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner every day.
6) First concert you attended: Jay-Z and R. Kelly “Best of Both Worlds” tour in 2004.
7) What is the most recent app you have downloaded but have yet to use? OfferUp. I wanted to buy a portable treatment table, and then Covid-19 happened.
8) Something high up on your bucket list: Backpacking in Switzerland with my wife.
9) What is a fun fact about yourself? My family and close friends call me by my nickname “Skim”
10) Something you would like to learn to do: Fly an airplane.
11) What chore do you absolutely hate doing? Cooking because I am horrible at it.
12) Favorite sports team: LA Lakers, Las Vegas Raiders, and LA Dodgers